Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Mechanics of Sin

To avoid sin is a matter of learning how it works. I may not have a theology major, but the bible gives me a good idea on how sin works. There's a lot more than the ten commandments...

Things about sin you need to know...
  • Teaching others to sin us just as bad. "But if anyone causes these little ones to sin, it would be better if a milestone were tied around their neck and they were thrown into the ocean." Matthew 18:6
  • Fantasizing about doing these things is wrong too, evidently. "But I say to you whoever looks at another woman lustfully has already commited adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:28. This can be pretty hard to do. Believe me, if I had a nickle for everytime I've fantasized about beating Richard Dawkins with a tire iron, or gunning somebody down for a minor slight, I'd make Bill Gates look like a hobo!
  • There's no loopholes. You don't need a bible to tell you that much. "Oh, well I can steal from that crippled old lady and just beg Christ for forgiveness later." That don't work! Jesus may be a lot of things, but he's not a robot! (although that would be kinda cool...)
  • Animals can't sin. They don't do anything wrong. Everything they do is natural. Humans, however, are in way over their heads.
  • Sins will not only condemn you in the Afterlife, but here and now as well. The Old Testament is full of examples.
Below is a list of well known, seemingly "harmless" sins. Note that "Harmless" is in quotations... because they are not harmless! They all have some hideous strings attached which I will cover at later dates...

  • Homosexuality
  • Bisexuality
  • Drugs/Smoking/Drinking
  • Fornication
  • Beastiality
  • Witchcraft
  • Satanism
  • Occult
  • Worshipping other gods
  • Swearing (Possibly the hardest to give up)
These things here are not sins in any way. In fact, some of these are mandatory.
  • Child Discipline through force. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21) When I was young, I got beaten stupid on a regular basis. Thank God for that. If I didn't get smacked around every now and then, I'd be a worthless, racist, anti-semitic, potty-mouthed, meth-baked warlock who likes little boys.
  • "Snitching." You've heard of the "Stop Snitchin'" campaign, right? Let me tell you of "Collective Responsibility." If you see someone commit a crime, and you keep your mouth shut, you're going to Hell with them. Romans 1:32 "Who knowing the judgement of god, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in those who do them." So you have two choices: Come clean and risk a single death, or keep silent and risk two deaths.
  • Preaching the word of God. This is obviously mandatory. It says up there in my blog description "Go ye into all the world and preach my gospel to every creature" -Mark 16:15. See, this is why I started this blog. So I can spread the word of god to everybody. Just having a Christian blog doesn't end it, though. Nope. It goes much farther than that. You have to preach the word on the streets too. You have to preach it everywhere.
These three lists stretch quite a ways. More information can be found in the NKJV of the Bible. It's not easy to stop the sins, but not outright impossible. Good luck.